Clients are referred by Allegheny County Human Services Rapid Response Team; families cannot register a child for this service directly.
RESPOND is a collaboration between Familylinks and UPMC-Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic (WPIC), providing a safe and therapeutic environment for children with developmental disabilities and mental-health issues to live. RESPOND (which stands for Residential Enhancement Services, Planning Opportunities for New Directions) is specially tailored to children and youth who simply can’t stay at home with family because of issues stemming from their disability and mental health diagnosis.
Who is eligible?
Children and youth ages 4-21 with both a developmental disability and serious and persistent mental illness.
What can you expect?
- The young client comes to live full-time at our residential facility, with 24-hour supervision by our staff.
- Parents or guardians are involved in every step of their child’s plan.
- WPIC behavior specialists work with the child to reach treatment goals and achieve new milestones, while Familylinks staff help the child to progress, and ensure client safety.
- Clients receive intensive mental health treatment, family therapy, and case management services.
- The goal at RESPOND is to work with the client until she or he is able to live at home with family again.
How do you enroll?
Clients are referred through Allegheny County’s Department of Human Services Rapid Response Team. Parents cannot directly request placement for their child.